Basic Long Term Disability
- You are automatically enrolled when you choose one of the health insurance plans.
- If approved, you would receive 62.5 percent of your pre-disability earnings after a 90 day waiting period.
- The maximum benefit is $800 per month and is reduced by deductible income (retirement, social security, worker's compensation, annual/sick leave).
- Pre-existing conditions will not be covered for 12 months from the date of coverage.
Supplemental Long Term Disability
- Employees can choose to enroll in a 90 day or 180 day waiting period plan.
- Premiums (PDF) are based on your age and salary. View the SLTD Insurance Premium Calculator.
- The maximum benefit is $8,000 per month and is reduced by deductible income (retirement, social security, worker's compensation, annual/sick leave).
- Pre-existing conditions will not be covered for 12 months from date of coverage.
Review the SC PEBA webpage, SLTD Plan Details (PDF), Insurance Benefits Guide (PDF), SLTD Benefits Packet, SLTD Conversion Packet, Group LTD (PDF) and Disability FAQs (PDF) for detailed plan information.
Medical evidence is required for initial enrollment and if you would like to change the waiting period from 180 to 90 days throughout the year. You will need to complete the SLTD Medical History Statement PDF and submit it to the address listed in the packet.
South Carolina Retirement Systems Disability Retirement
- Members of the SCRS or PORS retirement plans under age 65 may apply for disability retirement if they become permanently disabled before leaving covered employment. Members must have at least 5 years of earned service, or 8 years if they are a Class III member.
Visit the South Carolina Retirement Systems website for more information.