As a new hire you will select benefits and may make changes within 31 days of your hire date.
For existing employees, Enrollment Periods occur every year from October 1 through October 31. Employees may make changes to their insurance benefits based on the type of enrollment period. All changes and any applicable premium changes are effective on January 1 of the following year. Open Enrollment happens every year, however changes to dental benefits are permitted only during odd-numbered years as listed below. If you have a qualifying life event you are permitted to make the changes without waiting for Open Enrollment.
The following changes are allowed during Open Enrollment every year:
- Change State Savings Plan to MUSC Health Plan.*
- Enroll/re-enroll in Medical Spending, Dependent Care, or Health Savings Accounts (HSA for Savings Plan subscribers only).
- Add/drop yourself or dependents from health insurance.
- Any special changes allowed by insurance carriers.
- If enrolled in pretax feature, add/drop/increase/decrease optional life.**
- Add/drop state vision plan for yourself or dependents.
The following changes are allowed during Open Enrollment in odd years only:
- Add/drop yourself or dependents from dental insurance.
- Add/drop Dental Plus.
*This change is only available to employees who were grandfathered when the MUSC Health Plan began January 1, 2014.
**If an employee does not participate in the pre-tax premium feature, they may add/drop/increase/decrease optional life throughout the year (with medical evidence if required).
Qualifying Life Events
- Separation (based on pre-tax premiums)
- Employment/insurance change of dependents (loss or gain of coverage)
- Dependency change of children — children may be covered on health, dental, and/or vision insurance until age 26 even if they are eligible for another employer plan. Dependents may be carried on dependent life until age 19, or age 25 if they are a full-time student.