On Campus Employment

On campus employment is work that takes place either on the MUSC campus or at an off campus location that is educationally affiliated with MUSC. The work can be for on campus commercial business (such as a bookstore or cafeteria) as long as the work directly provides services for students. Commercial work located on campus that does not directly involve services to students (such as construction work) does not qualify as on campus employment. The work does not have to be related to the F-1 student's course of study.

While school is in session, F-1 students work up to 20 hours per week on campus, as long as the student continues to be enrolled full-time in the program of study. During holidays, when school is not in session, F-1 students may be permitted to work up to 40 hours per week on campus. On the day that classes resume, F-1 students must go back to working no more than 20 hours per week. For new F-1 students, on campus employment cannot begin more than 30 days prior to the start date of classes.

On campus employment does not require specific authorization in SEVIS or an application with USCIS. You do not need an employment authorization document (EAD card) in order to participate in valid on campus employment.

If you want to work on campus at MUSC, you must submit the On Campus Employment Report through your Terra Dotta portal. You will be required to upload a letter from the employing MUSC department describing the employment, compensation, and a statement affirming that you will be working no more than 20 hours per week when school is in session. You must submit the Terra Dotta On Campus Employment Report at least three (3) weeks before the start date of the employment.

If you want to participate in on campus employment and you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), you will need to apply for an SSN in order to get paid. F-1 students with on campus employment must have both a letter from the Designated School Official (DSO) in the Center for Global Health as well as evidence of employment (i.e., your employment offer letter) to submit with the SSN application. Once you submit the On Campus Employment Report in Terra Dotta, you will be provided with the DSO letter in order to apply for the SSN.