Maintaining J-1 Status

You are responsible for maintaining valid J-1 status while in the US. You must abide by all of the rules and regulations of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program as well as MUSC policies and procedures for J-1 exchange visitors.

In order to maintain valid J-1 status, you must do the following:

  • Be continually engaged in the J-1 program activities throughout the duration of the program (you cannot take a leave of absence of over 30 days from the program)
  • Notify CGH within 10 days of any change in your contact information (such as your US residential address)
  • Submit requests to CGH in a timely manner and in accordance with any deadlines
  • Provide CGH with updated copies of your passport, visa, and I-94 records (for yourself and any J-2 dependents)
  • Maintain health insurance that meets the J-1 requirements for your entire program duration
  • Notify CGH immediately if any of your immigration documents are lost or stolen
  • Contact CGH in advance to discuss any potential changes to your J-1 program, date of completion, site of activities, financial support, faculty supervisor, or any other aspect of your program
  • Notify CGH immediately if you intend to change your nonimmigrant status or adjust to permanent resident status prior to the J-1 program end date on your Form DS-2019

The following are some examples of situations that would violate your J-1 status:

  • Failure to participate in your specific J-1 program activities on a full-time basis
  • Failure to maintain health insurance that meets the requirements of the J-1 program
  • Failure to report updated contact information to CGH in a timely manner
  • Engaging in employment outside of your J-1 Exchange Visitor Program activities
  • Traveling outside of the US without submitting the J-1 Out of Country Travel Request
  • Moving to another MUSC department without prior approval from CGH
  • Remaining in the US beyond your lawful period of admission

If you have any questions about maintaining your J-1 status at MUSC, please contact the Center for Global Health before doing anything that may cause you to violate your J-1 status.