Welcome to Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC). You have joined the team that is Changing What's Possible in health care.
Following is a list of what you need to do to complete your onboarding:
- The first step on your MUSC journey is to complete the required online onboarding tasks.
- Once you have received your clearance from Employee Health Services, please print and complete the I-9 Form (PDF). You will need to bring this form with you to Human Resources after you receive your clearance from Employee Health Services.
- You may be asked to complete additional forms based on your new position. You will need to bring identification found on the list of acceptable documents (PDF) for the Form I-9 and Department of Homeland Security E-Verify program.
- We also ask that you bring a copy of your social security card to verify the number with the Social Security Administration. This ensures proper reporting of your wages.
- International employees are required to provide their Visa and any supporting documentation (I-797, I-94, etc). For visa inquiries, please call the Office of International Support at 843-792-7083 or the Department of Human Resources Management at 843-792-2237.
Human Resources Management offers a New Employee Orientation which provides information about our institution, as well as an overview of your insurance and retirement benefits.
Orientation is currently held in Harborview Office Tower, Room 910 at 9:00 am on Monday mornings, or Tuesday if Monday is a holiday. Orientation will end no later than 1:00 pm and employees are encouraged to report to their department for the remainder of the day.
New employees should plan to check-in between 8:00 am and 8:30 am in the lobby to register for parking and have their picture taken for their ID badge.
**Please note: starting October 7th, orientations will be held at the MUSC Wellness Center Auditorium located at 45 Courtenay Drive, Charleston, SC 29425.
For Harborview Office Tower orientations, you should park in any of the paved surface parking spaces in front and on either side of the main entrance to Harborview Office Tower. CAUTION: Do not park in the fenced gravel lot facing the front entrance of the building; the owner of the gravel lot will have a "boot" placed on any unauthorized vehicle.
You will receive a temporary pass for your vehicle for the day of orientation. Parking Management will be on-site to assist you with your parking assignment (PDF) during your employment. Please bring your vehicle registration, along with any documents or forms not completed during administrative sign-up.
Unsure if you are required to attend orientation? Take this questionnaire.
Benefits Information & Enrollment
Please review a benefits presentation (PDF) prior to your orientation date. Benefits counselors will be available to answer any questions that you have and assist you with completion of the necessary forms. You will also need to bring social security numbers, dates of birth, and additional documentation to add dependents to insurance or select a beneficiary. Please review the list of documents (PDF) required to add dependents to your coverage.
Instructions for Submitting ID Badge Photograph
Employees can submit a photograph to MUSC Department of Public Safety prior to orientation to streamline their check-in process. The photo must meet the following requirements for approval and be submitted no later than 12-noon on the Friday before the scheduled orientation:
- Color photo.
- Background must be a solid color, preferably of a lighter shade.
- Must be a frontal view, cropped from the shoulders up to include the full head. No side views.
- No other person or objects in the photo (eyeglasses are acceptable, no sunglasses or hats).
- Format can be BMP, JPG, or PNG. A photo taken with a smart phone and emailed from the phone will meet the required format (please choose "actual" or "original" for message size if prompted).
Please email the photograph to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your full legal name, department name, and anticipated orientation date. (For example: Jane Mary Doe, Department of Medicine, attending orientation on 9/21/15.)
You will receive an email from MUSC Department of Public Safety confirming that your photograph has been approved.