Applying for an Initial J-1 Visa

You are eligible to apply for a J-1 visa at a US embassy or consulate abroad after you receive the Form DS-2019 from MUSC.

Visa interview wait times and processing times are highly variable and depend on the specific consulate, volume of other applicants, and the visa applicant’s individual circumstances. For some applicants, it may only take a few weeks to get a visa interview and for the visa application to be processed. For other applicants, the entire process may take several months. For this reason, you must begin the visa application process as soon as possible after receiving your Form DS-2019. It is extremely important that you plan ahead to allow for any delays in the process.

Please be aware that issuance of a Form DS-2019 from MUSC does not guarantee that you will be issued a J-1 visa. Issuance of any visa is at the sole discretion of the US Department of State. You should not make any definitive travel plans until you have received your J-1 visa.

US Embassy/Consulate

Visit US Embassy to locate the US embassy/consulate where you will apply for your visa. Then, refer to your specific embassy/consulate’s website for further instructions on the J-1 visa application process. Each consular location operates differently, so it is important that you refer to your specific consular location for instructions.

It is recommended that you apply for a visa in your country of citizenship. Applying for a visa at an embassy/consulate in another country is known as a “third country application.” Third country visa applications are somewhat riskier and can take a bit longer. Visa refusal is more likely when applying for a visa in a country which is not your home country. This is because the consular officer must take extra measures to verify your relationship to your home country. If you do choose to apply for a visa in a third country, you should contact the consulate where you plan to apply and ask if they will accept an application from a “third country national.” Some consulates may put limits on the number of third country national visa applications that they will process. 

Nonimmigrant Visa Application

In most circumstances, nonimmigrant visa applicants must complete the Form DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application. Once you have completed the DS-160, you should print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview. If you have dependent family members who have received J-2 Forms DS-2019 from MUSC, each dependent family member must also complete the Form DS-160 and apply for a J-2 visa. 


Nonimmigrant visa applicants are required to pay a visa application fee. The visa application fee is required each time you need to apply for a J-1 visa at a US embassy/consulate abroad. Any J-2 dependent visa applicants will also be required to pay the visa application fee.

The current nonimmigrant visa application fee for J applicants is $185. The visa application fee is set by the US Department of State and is subject to change at any time. Refer to the website of your specific US embassy/consulate for more details on the current visa application fee and how to pay the fee. Typically, you will be required to pay the fee when you complete the DS-160 nonimmigrant visa application.

The nonimmigrant visa application fee is separate from the SEVIS I-901 fee. In addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee, all new J-1 exchange visitors are required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee before applying for a J-1 visa. Refer to the MUSC J-1 Sponsorship page for more details on the SEVIS I-901 fee. 

Visa Interview

A personal interview is typically required as part of the J visa application process. It is extremely important that you schedule your visa interview as soon as possible once you receive your Form DS-2019.

During your visa interview, a consular officer will discuss the purpose of your visit to the United States and will determine if you are qualified to receive a J visa. As the visa applicant, you are responsible for establishing that you meet the requirements under US law to receive the category of visa for which you are applying.

Keep in mind that the J-1 visa classification requires nonimmigrant intent. This means that you must demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country and that you will return to your home country upon completion of the J-1 program in the US. You should be prepared to answer questions from the consular officer regarding the ties to your home country and your plans upon completion of the Exchange Visitor Program.

Refer to your embassy’s website for a specific list of documents that you must bring with you to the visa interview. In general, you should be prepared to bring following documents:

  • Valid passport (valid for at least 6 months beyond your period of stay in the US)
  • Form DS-160 confirmation page
  • Nonimmigrant visa application fee payment receipt
  • I-901 SEVIS fee payment receipt
  • Form DS-2019 (signed by you)
  • MUSC J-1 program invitation letter
  • Financial documentation indicating sufficient funding to support you and any J-2 dependents
  • Additional documentation as indicated on your US embassy/consulate's website

Visa Processing & Issuance

Specific visa processing time varies depending on the consulate, location and time of year. The visa process can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months. Visit the US Department of State website to view estimated visa processing wait times. Note that these published wait times are simply estimates and not guarantees. In addition, please be aware that MUSC cannot intervene in the visa application process at the consulate or request expedited processing for your application.

Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant’s interview by a consular officer. All applicants are advised of the possibility of administrative processing when they apply. When administrative processing is required, the timing will vary based on individual circumstances of each case, though most administrative processing is resolved within 60 days of the visa interview.

If your visa application is selected for administrative processing, please inform the Center for Global Health so that we are aware of any delays that may prevent you from beginning your program on the program start date. If your application is selected for administrative processing, contact CGH and provide your visa application/case ID number, the date of your interview, and the location (city) of the consulate where you applied for the visa.

If your visa application is approved, you will receive a J-1 visa foil stamp affixed to your passport. Your specific consulate will provide you with instructions on how to submit your passport for visa stamping and how you will receive your passport after the visa has been issued. Please be aware that it may take a few weeks for you to receive your passport with the visa stamp after you have been notified of the approval of your visa application. Again, you should not make any definitive travel plans until you have received your passport containing the J-1 visa.

Canadian Citizens

Citizens of Canada do not need a visa in their passport to request entry into the United States. If you are a Canadian citizen, you can apply for entry to the US in J-1 status directly at the port-of-entry. However, you are still required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee prior to traveling to the US.

Canadian exchange visitors must have the following documents when traveling to the US:

  • Passport (valid for at least 6 months beyond your period of stay in the US)
  • Form DS-2019 (signed by you)
  • SEVIS I-901 fee payment receipt
  • Evidence of financial resources (including program offer letters)