Employment & Practical Training

Non-immigrant F-1 students are admitted into the United States to engage in an academic program of study. In order for an F-1 student to work in the United States, specific authorization must be obtained. There are limited work opportunities available in the United States for F-1 students. For this reason, before coming to the United States, F-1 students must prove they have the financial ability to pay for tuition and living expenses while studying in the United States.

 The U.S. government takes working illegally very seriously. Not following the guidelines for F-1 employment authorization is a violation of status and may result in termination of F-1 status. Furthermore, unauthorized employment could jeopardize the F-1 student's ability to remain in the U.S. or return for future visits.

Use the navigation menu on the left or click the links below to learn more about the specific employment opportunities available for F-1 students:

Please note that you will be required to pay taxes on any income earned in the United States. It is important that you take the steps to ensure that your tax status and withholdings are set up correctly with your employer. Refer to the following resources for more details: