Off Campus Employment (Economic Hardship)

Off campus employment is allowed only in cases of severe economic hardship or in emergent circumstances. Off campus employment is granted, on a case-by-case basis, only to an F-1 student who can prove that new, unexpected circumstances have created severe economic hardship, such as the following:

  • Loss of financial aid due to no fault of student
  • Large increase in tuition or living costs
  • Unexpected changes in financial condition of student’s sources of financial support
  • Unexpectedly large medical bills

An F-1 student must be enrolled for at least one academic year before becoming eligible to apply for off campus work authorization. Off campus employment requires authorization from the Designated School Official (DSO) in SEVIS and an application for employment authorization submitted by the F-1 student to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), US Department of Homeland Security.

If you think you may be in a situation that would require off campus employment authorization based on economic hardship, please contact the Center for Global Health immediately to discuss your situation and further procedures.

You may be permitted to engage in off campus employment as part of an authorized period of Curricular Practical Training or Optional Practical Training.