Emissions from transportation vehicles are a major source of greenhouse gases (GHGs) that drive global climate change. Opting for more efficient means of transportation decreases our effect on the climate, improves air quality, and helps us to create more accessible and healthy communities for people to live and work in.
- City-Wide Bike Share – Holy Spokes bikes are available at several locations on campus. MUSC Health is the title partner for the bike share program.
- Know the law before you start - visit the City of Charleston's Biking Laws Page to learn the rules of the road.
- Register your bicycle - register with MUSC Public Safety (to be in compliance with City of Charleston Police) see details on Public Safety's page.
- Lock your bicycle - U-lock is safest.
- Find a bike rack - MUSC's campus on the MUSC Campus Map (PDF) or see the City of Charleston interactive map with racks, bus stops, and more.
- MUSC Bike Fix It Station - Located between Basic Science Building and Drug Discovery. This station has an air pump, a bikee stand, and some tools for maintenance and basic repairs.
- CARTA Buses are free to use for all MUSC students/employees. Simply show your MUSC badge upon boarding. The Charleston Area Regional Transport Authority (CARTA) offers an express (park and ride) bus service, fixed-route services, and a downtown shuttle. Info and schedules on the CARTA website
- The MUSC Shuttle is a free service that runs through campus.
- Cancel for CARTA is an incentive program for those that pay for parking at MUSC to try CARTA risk-free. MUSC parking management offers 12 Free parking day passes for those that cancel their parking pass to use CARTA. For more information or to take advantage of the program contact MUSC Parking Management at 843-792-3665.
- Lowcountry Go — (New) Improve your commute with Low Go. Lowcountry Go is an online service connecting real people with real solutions and supports carpools, vanpools, public transit, walking, biking, emergency ride home, and many other programs that encourage behavior changes among commuters.
- MUSC Carpool — MUSC Parking Management offers special, more convenient spaces for those who register their carpool with parking management. Up to 10 day passes for the President Street garage can be purchased monthly for $8 each for days when carpooling doesn’t work (e,g, medical appointments).