Maintaining Valid F-1 Status

As an F-1 student, the primary purpose of your stay in the United States is to pursue a full course of study in the degree program and at the institution listed on your current Form I-20.

You are responsible for maintaining valid F-1 status. If you are not sure whether or not something will impact your F-1 status, you must contact the Center for Global Health before taking any action.

As an F-1 student, you must do the following:

  • Maintain an unexpired passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond your period of stay in the US
  • Maintain full-time enrollment and normal, full-time progress toward your degree
  • Report changes in your contact information (address or phone number) to CGH within 10 days
  • Complete the F-1 Continuing Student Reporting record at the beginning of each term (Spring, Summer, Fall) 
  • Notify CGH if you plan to change to another nonimmigrant status or adjust to permanent resident status during your time at MUSC

You must request prior approval from the Center for Global Health before doing any of the following:

  • Dropping below a full course of study
  • Withdrawing from classes
  • Taking a leave of absence
  • Traveling outside of the United States
  • Traveling within the United States
  • Accepting part-time on-campus employment
  • Participating in Curricular Practical Training
  • Participating in Optional Practical Training
  • Participating in any educational activities outside of the MUSC campus

Refer to the various pages on this website (see menus on left) for more information about the above-referenced activities and requesting authorization.

Failure to receive appropriate authorization from the Center for Global Health will result in termination of your F-1 status and you will not be able to continue your studies in the United States. Remember, when in doubt, contact CGH in advance to ensure that you are not doing anything to violate your F-1 status.

Most information reporting and requests are submitted through your Terra Dotta Portal. Refer to the Terra Dotta page on this site for more information about using the Terra Dotta system.