There are two dental insurance plans available to MUSC employees: Basic State Dental and Dental Plus.
Basic State Dental
There is no cost to the employee for this plan. There is a premium (PDF) for spouse and/or child(ren). The focus of the State Dental Plan is to promote prevention through a reimbursement plan. The yearly maximum is $1,000 per person. There are four classes of dental coverage:
- Class I Preventive Services: 100 percent of Allowable Charges.
- Class II Basic Services: 80 percent of Allowable Charges after $25 deductible.
- Class III Prosthodontics: 50 percent of Allowable Charges after $25 deductible (implants are covered based on the allowable).
- Class IV Orthodontics: 50 percent of Allowable Charges, $1000 Lifetime Benefit (only dependents under age 19 are eligible).
Dental Plus is a supplemental plan to provide a higher level of dental coverage for you and your family. Dental Plus is applied to the level of coverage carried under the Basic State Dental Plan but subscribers must pay an additional premium ( PDF) and can only be added or dropped in October of the odd years, effective January 1st of the following year.
- Same coverage as carried on Basic Plan, but with higher allowable charges.
- No additional orthodontia benefits.
- Combined benefit year maximum benefit is $2,000 per person.
Dental Insurance is administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield. Review the SC PEBA webpage or the Insurance Benefits Guide (PDF) for detailed plan information. The MUSC Dental Faculty Practice has provided a sample of service charges under the Basic Plan versus the Dental Plus plan (PDF).
The state vision plan with EyeMed offers coverage for comprehensive exams, frames, lenses, and contacts. To receive in-network benefits, be sure to visit a participating provider. (Choose Insight Plan A network.)
The State Vision Plan's benefits package allows you to use your in-network vision benefits online at Glasses.com and ContactsDirect, in addition to thousands of independent providers and top optical retailers, with a valid prescription from your eye doctor. To use your benefits online, to find a provider, or to find a detailed description of your vision benefits visit Eyemed.com.