H-1B Status for Physicians

Medical doctors who will be coming to work at MUSC in a clinical capacity must provide the following documents to be submitted with the H-1B petition (in addition to all of the regularly required documents):

  • ECFMG Certificate
  • USMLE transcripts for steps 1, 2CK, 2CS, and 3
  • South Carolina medical license, or evidence of application for or renewal of South Carolina medical license

Applying for a South Carolina Medical License

The South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners (SCGME) issues medical licenses in the state of South Carolina. Refer to the SCBME section of the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation website for more information on applying for a South Carolina medical license. Contact your hiring MUSC department with any questions related to applying for a South Carolina medical license.

South Carolina law requires that every individual who applies for an occupational or professional license provide a Social Security number. If you are outside of the United States and you do not have a US Social Security number (SSN), you will not be permitted to apply for a South Carolina medical license until you enter the US and obtain an SSN.

Residencies & Fellowships

Medical residents who will be participating in a post-graduate medical training program at MUSC will be granted H-1B status in one-year increments only. This is because with each progressive post-graduate year level of residency, the position salary and job duties will change, thus necessitating the need for a new H-1B petition each year. Even if your residency program will be several years in length, we are still required to file a new H-1B petition each year per federal regulations.

It is important to note that not all residency/fellowship programs at MUSC will sponsor a foreign national in H-1B status. Some residency programs will only sponsor foreign national physicians in J-1 status in the Alien Physician category, which is sponsored and regulated through the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). You should contact the specific residency program coordinator to discuss your options and what visa statuses they are willing to sponsor. See the list of the MUSC graduate medical education programs for coordinator contact information.

Please be aware that moonlighting is not permitted in H-1B status.