June 11, 2018
CHARLESTON, SC – The Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) has been ranked in the top two percent of universities worldwide, according to the Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) 2018-19 report.
Listed as no. 333 out of 18,000 institutions worldwide, MUSC’s most notable stats were reported by the third-party organization as follows:
- National Rank: 111
- Research Output Rank: 421
- Quality Publications Rank: 333
- Influence Rank: 320
- Citations Rank: 222
CWUR uses seven objective and robust indicators to rank the world’s universities without relying on surveys and university data submissions, with research prowess now accounting for about 70 percent of the total score:
- Quality of education, measured by the number of a university's alumni who have won major international awards, prizes, and medals relative to the university's size.
- Alumni employment, measured by the number of a university's alumni who have held CEO positions at the world's top companies relative to the university's size.
- Quality of faculty, measured by the number of academics who have won major international awards, prizes, and medals.
- Research output, measured by the total number of research papers.
- Quality publications, measured by the number of research papers appearing in top-tier journals.
- Influence, measured by the number of research papers appearing in highly-influential journals.
- Citations, measured by the number of highly-cited research papers.
For more detailed information about the rankings, visit http://cwur.org/2018-19.php.
Founded in 1824 in Charleston, The Medical University of South Carolina is the oldest medical school in the South. Today, MUSC continues the tradition of excellence in education, research, and patient care. MUSC educates and trains more than 3,000 students and 700 residents in six colleges (Dental Medicine, Graduate Studies, Health Professions, Medicine, Nursing, and Pharmacy), and has nearly 14,000 employees, including approximately 1,500 faculty members. As the largest non-federal employer in Charleston, the university and its affiliates have collective annual budgets in excess of $2.4 billion, with an annual economic impact of more than $3.8 billion and annual research funding in excess of $250 million. MUSC operates a 700-bed medical center, which includes a nationally recognized children's hospital, the Ashley River Tower (cardiovascular, digestive disease, and surgical oncology), Hollings Cancer Center (a National Cancer Institute-designated center), Level I trauma center, Institute of Psychiatry, and the state’s only transplant center. In 2017, for the third consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report named MUSC Health the number one hospital in South Carolina. For more information on academic programs, visit musc.edu. For more information on hospital patient services, visit muschealth.org.
About the Center for World University Rankings
The Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) is a leading consulting organization providing policy advice, strategic insights, and consulting services to governments and universities to improve educational and research outcomes. CWUR publishes authoritative global university rankings, known for objectivity, transparency, and consistency, which are trusted by students, academics, university administrators, and government officials from around the world. Since 2012, CWUR has been publishing the only academic ranking of global universities that assesses the quality of education, alumni employment, research output, and citations without relying on surveys and university data submissions. The ranking started out as a project in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia with the aim of rating the top 100 world universities. It was quickly reported worldwide by universities and the media and many requests were received to expand it. In 2014, the ranking expanded to list the top 1,000 out of 18,000 universities worldwide, making it the largest academic ranking of global universities. Since 2016, the Center for World University Rankings is headquartered in the United Arab Emirates.