Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Where should my documentation be submitted?
    Your documentation should be submitted to the Department of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion attention Stephanie Price, Director of Equity, EEO and University Accessibility Services.
  2. When should I apply for services?
    Immediately, the interactive process can take up to 4 weeks.
  3. How do I apply for accommodations?
    You must complete the Request for Accommodations Form.
  4. I have been diagnosed with a disorder/condition. Will I automatically be granted accommodations?
    A diagnosis alone does not qualify you for accommodations. You must have documentation of the existence of a condition that substantially limits a major life activity.
  5. How can I apply for Disability Services?
    You must complete the Request for Accommodations form.
  6. Do I have to provide medical documentation?
    Yes, you will need to provide medical verification of your disability. Your qualified (must be qualified to make the reported diagnosis) healthcare provider will need to complete the Medical Verification Form, along with providing supporting testing and/or evaluation.
  7. I have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, what type of documentation will I need to provide?
    If you have ADHD or ADD, you will need to complete the Request for Accommodations Form and provide a copy of your Adult Psycho-Educational Evaluation  
  8. Does CAPS perform Adult Psycho-Educational evaluations?
    No. Typically, you will need to contact a psychologist, neurologist or psychiatrist.
  9. Does my insurance cover adult psycho-educational evaluations?
    You will need to contact your insurance provider.
  10. Is there a deadline for submitting disability documentation?
    In order for you to receive approve accommodations at the start of the academic year, students are encouraged to submit all your documentation well in advance. You can apply for approved accommodations at any time once you have been accepted at the Medical University of South Carolina.
  11. I have a test within the next few days, can I receive approved accommodations?
    In most case, receiving approved accommodations can take up to 4 weeks.
  12. What happens after my disability documentation is approved?
    The Director of Equity, EEO and University Accessibility Services will coordinate with your college’s ADA Liaison who will work with your faculty members to implement your approved accommodations.
  13. Can I receive accommodations without providing any documentation?
    No. You will need to complete the Request for Accommodations Form and have your qualified license healthcare provider complete the Medical Verification Form along with supporting documentation.
  14. Is there a fee for disability services?
    Students are responsible for aids or assistance of a personal nature such as wheel chairs, hearing aids, computers to be used at home, or attendants for services of a personal nature including assistance with bathing or dressing or life coaching.
  15. What accommodations and services will I be eligible for?
    Appropriate reasonable accommodations are determined on an individual basis and are based on each student’s current and comprehensive disability documentation.
  16. My program has a didactic/classroom and a clinical component, will I get accommodations in both settings?
    You will need to apply for accommodations for each setting.
  17. I have approved accommodations; will I need to reapply each semester?
    No. You will only need to reapply for accommodations if (1.) your circumstances change or (2.) if you need accommodations in a different academic setting not previously approved.
  18. What type of services does CAPS offer?
    CAPS does not provide psychometric testing for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) or provide medication management for ADHD.

    CAPS provides individual therapy to assist with related problems, including organization, time management, problem-solving, decision-making, emotion regulation, procrastination, and relationship issues.

    If you are currently under treatment for ADHD with an outside provider, you will need to continue with your current treatment provider or other community providers. If you have the MUSC school sponsored Student Health Insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina (BCBSSC) and administered by Academic Health Plans (AHP), care for ADHD may be covered under the policy if their conditions are met (which may include appropriate testing and preauthorization for medications). You can call the AHP-BCBS insurance Customer Service directly at 1-800-868-2520 for information.

    If you are covered under another insurance plan, please check with your insurance company about coverage and community providers. In this case, it is important to confirm with community providers their office practices regarding insurance coverage.

    CAPS does not make referrals for ADHD or neuropsychological testing. The MUSC Student Health Plan (AHP-BCBS) does not require referrals for mental health care or ADHD.

    For more information, visit Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS)

  19. Is there someone in my college that can assist me if I have a question about disability services?
    Yes, each college has a designated ADA Liaison.
  20. What are the requirements for vaccination?
    For more information, review  Vaccines

For individuals other than students seeking accommodations, please refer to the appropriate Human Resources department.

University Human Resources

Medical Center Human Resources

MUSC Physicians Human Resources