Breast surgeon, role model and author returns for inspirational talk

March 11, 2019
Dr. Vivian Bea
Dr. Vivian Bea, right, radiates good energy on stage during Black History Month at MUSC. Photo by Bryce Donovan

Vivian Bea, M.D., is a pioneer in her field. From an early age, she has been determined to accomplish her dreams. Perhaps as importantly, she’s also felt the need to give back and compelled to bring others along as well. She thanks wonderful mentors along her journey for her mindset. They will quickly tell you it’s been her passion, hard work and dedication to improving the quality of life for patients that so quickly propelled her to rising star status in the medical field.

Recognized as a gifted breast surgeon, Bea used academics and strong will to push herself, continually moving forward. She attended the University of Miami and majored in musical performance (flute) and biology (premed). After graduating cum laude, she continued her academic pursuits and earned her Master of Science in Biological Sciences at Drexel University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Later, she attended Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia. Bea completed both her residency and internship in surgery at MUSC and would go on to complete her fellowship in breast surgery at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, in Houston. Today, she is a respected breast surgeon at MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper in Camden, NJ.

In addition to her focus on academics, Bea has always been a proud and active advocate for her community. She founded GLOSS (Girls Loving OurSelves Successfully) a middle school organization that is dedicated to empowering young girls to follow their dreams through mentoring. She is also a published author. “Please Don’t Touch My Magical Hair,” the first book in her Chocolate Kid Chronicles series, went on to become an Amazon bestselling book.

On Feb. 20, she was back on the campus she called “home” as the keynote speaker at a Black History Month (BHM) lecture. She welcomed guests with a warm and gracious “Good afternoon! It’s so great so see so many familiar faces!”

Bea has dedicated her career to cancer research and treatment. She described the cancer disparities that exist among minority groups, especially African-Americans. She explained the injustices and inequalities that have been prevalent in health care.

Bea described the importance of understanding the history of health care. “We can all agree that it was not equal,” she said, explaining that basic human rights were often denied to African- American citizens.

Bea connected the past to the present. “Older people like my grandparents – they always relate health care back to the Tuskegee Experiment. Mistrust within the medical system certainly still exists.”

What is the current state of African-American health? Nowhere near where it needs to be, Bea said. And she would know. She specifically focuses on breast cancer disparities. “Breast cancer mortality is 40 percent higher in African-American women,” Bea added.

Many in the crowd saw Bea as inspirational. Biemann Othersen Jr., M.D., Professor Emeritus Chief of Surgery and Pediatrics, was among them. Othersen was an important mentor to Bea. The state’s first pediatric surgeon and one of the first in the entire Southeast, Othersen started the beloved and thought-provoking lectures called “Bee-Hive Sessions” for MUSC residents doing their pediatric surgery rotations. Bea said she will never forget the impact these lectures made on her. From him, she learned the importance of compassion and just sitting, listening and connecting with patients.

At the BHM lecture, Othersen posed a question that ultimately shed light on Bea’s personal philosophy. “When working with children, everything is reliant on simplicity. How can we approach racial disparities and make the process simple?”

Bea responded, “I sit with patients Dr. Othersen, and I look them in the eye. I think that sitting and engaging with that patient lets them know that they are important. Whether they are white, black, Asian or Hispanic, I first sit and listen to them.  I then explain their diagnosis in laymans terms and give them an opportunity to ask any questions they may have. I respect who they are and let them know they matter”

Bea carried that tone of equal patient care and respect throughout her talk. She even shared some personal stories. She said it’s important to connect with communities and engage with people from all backgrounds.

“When I was young, I lived in Washington, D.C. I had a pediatrician that looked like me. Her name was Dr. Ilnez Hinds; she was a Jamaican woman who didn’t play. Seeing that she could become a physician gave me hope that I too could become a physician. Having mentors from a young age who believed in the beauty of my dream allowed me to see that my dream was attainable.  I believe we all have a thing inside of us that drives us, its purpose.  Once I discovered my purpose, I then allowed it to be my driving force.” 

Bea thanked everyone and gave endless hugs to all those she knew as well as people she had just met. As a woman who found her purpose, she works tirelessly every day to make sure that every patient is cared for equally well. Many in the audience told her she is a beacon of hope for patients and future physicians.

Suggest a Story

Have an idea for MUSC Catalyst News? Contact our editorial team and let us know.