National Doctors Day: A time to honor physicians

March 31, 2017
Closeup of doctor's white coat with stethoscope and red carnation in pocket
MUSC celebrated Doctors Day March 30. Photo provided

March 30 is marked as the annual observation of National Doctors Day. This day of gratitude has been observed since 1993 and is used to say thank you to the physicians who work tirelessly in an industry that is more complex now than ever before.

MUSC patients were asked to post their comments about MUSC physicians using the hashtags #MUSCDocsRock and #ThanksMUSCdocs.

Here are some of the comments made from grateful patients to MUSC physicians:

Dr. Cheryl Lynch I thank you for restoring my faith in MUSC. I thank you for your kindness, for always listening, not rushing to false judgment and for placing me on the right RX that have me feeling so much better and thriving in all aspects of my life. I pray God continues to bless you and your career. —Yolanda Elbert

I would like to thank all of the doctors and nurses that care for my preemie in the NICU. From level 1 to level 3 you’re amazing. Every Thursday at round table I was informed and encouraged. Lailah is here today because of the extremely wonderful team we had. Thank you from the Green family. —Dana Dane

The MUSC neurology department is one I am grateful to have providing me with care. Dr. Jonathan Edwards, Nurse Amy, Drs. William Vandergrift, Mark Wagner and Marian Dale have been wonderful to work with, and continue to work with me to try and find a solution to my neurological impairments. —Meredith Poston

Thank you Dr. Frank Brescia, for being a caring and wonderful physician. I also am thankful for my skilled surgeons, Dr. Nancy DeMore and Dr. Jason Ulm. —Sharon Ann Hills

I want to thank Dr. Patrick Flume. He has cared for me the longest. I also want to thank Dr. Bruce Sabin, my primary care doctor. —Barbara Stillway

Special thanks to Dr. Daniel Reuben and the entire oncology staff at the Mount Pleasant clinic. All are great at what they do and I appreciate them putting up with me. Thanks again and keep charging! —Ty Mosier

Every doctor that I have seen at MUSC is amazing. Dr. Arthur Palmer is my primary doctor and he is compassionate and caring. He listens when I talk and we find solutions to my health problems together. Dr. Koehler and his team are wonderful. They held my hand and calmed my fears while they treated my cancer. Dr. Samuel Cooper is the same way. He walked me through my radiation treatment, calming my fears and cheering me on. MUSC physicians are the best! —Stephanie Barron

Thank you Dr. Biemann Othersen for curing me of cancer, thank you Dr. Bruce Elliott for a new aorta, thank you Dr. Prabhakar Balega for a new kidney. MUSC doctors have saved my life three times! —Dana Rothschild

We would like to give a huge thank you to Dr Lesher and the rest of the Children's ER team for performing emergency surgery on our daughter, Hannah, this past Thursday. We had been to three other doctors/hospitals and the wonderful staff at MUSC were the only ones that listened to us and properly checked/scanned our daughter. We are forever grateful. —Michelle Brownlee

Special thanks to Dr. Amy Bredlau from pediatric oncology for helping us through our daughter’s cancer. Her team of nurses and doctors have been amazing. The team treats you like family, and they are all so caring. Special shout out to Lori Donahoo, nurse Kelly and nurse Kara! They put smiles on our face each day, and showed how much they care. We couldn't have asked for a better team of amazing care givers. Don't forget 7B. We tried not to go there too often, but they all did an amazing job. —Vanessa Kelley Rye

Dr. Joni Mazza is amazing. She is very knowledgeable and very sweet. I don’t mind having to see her every three months. I’m super thankful for her. —Sami Komins

There are several outstanding doctors I would like to recognize, Dr. David Adams for helping my son by putting in a gastric pacemaker. Gregory Buck, for being there and putting in a feeding tube in my son and always assuring that everything is OK. Dr. Ira Willner, for taking over for Dr. Adrien Reuben after he retired, Dr. Willner is working with me for my PSC and keeping up with my concerns. And all the MUSC staff, nurses, in the Ashley River Tower for taking good care of my son when he has to stay a few days. MUSC has really been a great help to us, thank you. —Danny Chavis

Thanks Dr. Elisha Brownfield. —Arlene Morris

Special thanks to Dr. Kristen Wagoner, she rocks! She was always honest and direct and thus saved me a lot of time and needless suffering. I truly appreciate her caring, personal touch also and that she is excellent at what she does. —Iris Chisolm

Thank you, Dr. Patrick O’Neil! —Anna Fabian

I'd like to thank specifically Dr. Marty Player (family medicine) and Dr. Richard Bayre (cardiology). Both have taken great care of me and my husband. Also Dr. Lisa Mims (family medicine), Dr. Harry Demos (my favorite orthopedic surgeon) and Dr. Anita Ramsetty. Last, but not least, thank you to the staff at the Ellis Oaks Family Medicine Clinic. Tammy, Brenda, Lisa, Diane, Queen, Deedra and the others do not get the praise they deserve for the way patients are treated and cared for. —Mary Thiedke Grady

Our family would like to thank all of the doctors and nurses in the endocrinology department, women's center and L&D and the NNICU and special care nurseries as well as pediatric neurology and pediatric orthopedics. There are far too many to name, but from March 2014 to June 2016, some of our greatest blessings included Dr. Angela Dempsey, Dr. Donna Johnson, Gretchen Hahn, Dr. Christopher Goodier and Dr. Charles Rittenburg. Our three stories are way too long to post, but everyone involved was so professional and comforting and just all around awesome. Thanks, MUSC. We love y'all but hope we never have to visit again! —Suzy Melchior Dodgins

My wife and I are extremely grateful for the expertise and care that we receive from our MUSC doctors and whole medical team. My cardiologist, Dr. Anbukarasi Maran, is top notch. I have had cancer and heart surgery at MUSC beginning in 2007, and continuing up until two weeks ago. Before that, my late wife, Linda, was treated by the wonderful neurology doctors in her long battle with Alzheimer's disease. I have nothing but praise for my care. The list of doctors who have been involved in providing that care is long. Thanks to every one of them. —B. Earl Copeland